ACE in Chile
The ACE in Chile (ChACE) program is an enriching and multifaceted post-graduate teaching experience in Santiago, Chile for recent graduates of ACE and other UCCE programs. The 18-month immersive program provides “ChACErs” with the opportunity to teach and live internationally, while enhancing their capacities as leaders and educators.
ChACE teachers spend one full academic year teaching English as a foreign language at Saint George’s College (Pre-K - 12th grade) in Chile’s capital city.
In August, prior to their arrival in Santiago, teachers participate in an intensive 6-week Spanish language program in Quito, Ecuador. Following language studies, ChACEs spend three months (end of September - December) with a Chilean host family connected to St. George in which they get to know the life of the city and school. The academic teaching year begins in March and runs through December.
ChACE provides an unparalleled opportunity for talented and passionate educators to engage a new cultural, linguistic, and educational context. It invites ChACErs to take on new leadership opportunities and to grow professionally by teaching English language learners, all while growing in Spanish language fluency and contributing to the vibrancy of Catholic education internationally. At Saint George’s, ChACErs teach English in the well established English department and assist with campus ministry outreach. As a part of the ChACE experience, participants also partake in earning their ESL endorsement through ACE’s English as a New Language program (special ChACE scholarships have been established).
ChACE Program Timeline
- Late July 2023: ChACE Orientation at Notre Dame
- August-September 2023: Spanish Language Immersion Program in Ecuador
- End of September 2023: Begin work at Saint George's College in Santiago, Chile
- Early January 2024: Mission trips and service projects with Saint George's students
- Mid-January-February 2024: Summer vacation
- March 1st-Mid-December 2024: Teach full-time for one academic school year at Saint George's College
Application Process Timeline
- Monday, November 1, 2022: Application available online
- Tuesday, January 17, 2023: Application deadline
- January 30 - February 10, 2023: Video conference interview
- Monday, February 13, 2023: Acceptance notification
- Friday, February 24, 2023: Commitment deadline
We invite you to fill out a brief interest form to receive more information about the ACE in Chile program. Please reach out to Dr. Katy Lichon, ChACE Program Director (email@example.com) or Danny Martin, ChACE Program Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any additional questions.
Want to learn more about ACE in Chile (ChACE) program? Feel free to contact one of these former ChACErs!
- Johann Qua Hiansen (ChACE 13) email@example.com
- Bridget Gartenmayer (ChACE 14) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amanda Klasila (ChACE 19) email@example.com
- Maria Ahern (ChACE 19) firstname.lastname@example.org